Call Now: 602-307-9919

Are Audiologists Medical Doctors?

 In Arizona Hearing Center, Audiologist, Audiology

In today’s world of medicine and the rising costs of health care people are naturally concerned that they are getting the highest quality in care.  Often people believe that unless they are actually seeing a medical doctor rather than a Physician’s Assistant or Nurse Practitioner or in this case an audiologist, they may not be getting the highest quality of care for their money. So… are audiologists medical doctors?  Keep reading to discover the difference.

Here at the Arizona Hearing Center we understand that your hearing healthcare is an important part of helping your ability to communicate. An Audiologist, otherwise known as a Doctor of Audiology, is a specialist in hearing diagnostics and hearing loss rehabilitation. Audiologists must go through years of extensive schooling and training to obtain a bachelor’s degree as well as a doctoral degree. They must also have several thousand clinical hours of training, and pass a board certified examination in order to be licensed to practice.

A physician is a doctor of medicine who can treat a variety of disorders and diseases, as well as prescribe various medications. An Audiologist on the other hand, cannot prescribe medication but helps to treat hearing loss in other ways such as the dispensing of  hearing amplification technology. Audiologist often work in conjunction with an Ear, Nose and Throat physician, also known as an Otolaryngologist. ENTs collaborate with rely on Audiologists to diagnose a hearing loss, and provide a basis for treatment and rehabilitation. The ENT works closely with the Audiologist to come up with the best treatment plan for the patient’s hearing health Audiological care. ENTs can perform surgical procedure involving the ears, nose and throat.

An Otologist is similar to an ENT who has undergone additional training in the diagnosis, treatment and surgery of ear disorders.  but specializes in ONLY ear related disorders and diseases.Usually when an ENT cannot treat a patient any further, they will refer the patient to an Otologist for their specialized expertise and knowledge. Audiologists also work with Otologists providing diagnostic information and dispensing hearing technology.

In addition to working with ENTs and Otologists, Audiologists work in a variety of environments including schools, private practices, hospitals, universities, non-profit organizations, and the Department of Veteran Affairs. In conclusion, there are significant differences between Audiologists, ENT, Physicians, and Otologists. Despite these differences, they all have Doctoral level degrees and they all work together play a pivotal role in the hearing healthcare process and the treatment of hearing loss.

When you visit the Arizona Hearing Center you can have full confidence that we have the best in the industry to ensure that you will always have the “ultimate hearing experience”. Call us today at 602-277-4327

Is your current  hearing specialist up to date with the latest technology?  Click here to find out what equipment an audiologist should use. 

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search